[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 24, Issue 1

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Wed Nov 16 14:00:43 EST 2005

Dr Robert Young wrote:

> If you are working with tape images assigned at SIMH startup, how do
> you "change" images if you are reading a multivolume tape backup?
> Assign the second image to another "tape" drive device (SIMH starts up
> with 4)?

Control/E breaks back to the simh prompt, you can then
'att mua0 /x/y/z' to the next volume, then 'C' to continue.
Not an elegant solution, but it works.

I think several people have been playing with other options,
but I don't know if anything has changed in the standard
simh version.

> Which brings up another question. I see on SIMH that you have 3 drives
> by default, 1 cd drive, and 4 tape units. Can you add additional
> disk/tape/cd units or is what shows up "hard coded"?

Just modify your startup command file.
That is where your drives are defined.
You can add/remove whatever devices you want there.
The available devices are listed in VAX/vax_doc.txt
in the source distribution.