[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 24, Issue 1

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Thu Nov 17 02:50:31 EST 2005

Well, for getting larger disks you have again two possibilities:

a) simh allows you to use the "rauser" option for the rq controllers,
defining disks with 2GB in standard mode (64MB RAM) or 1000GB (!) in
extended mode.
     (there was a bug in simh version 3.3x which prevented this, but I
think it was solved in V3.4)
    This gives you up to 16 disks with 1TB each - should be enough for the
near future ... ;-)
    In the VAX.INI, put the line SET RQn RAUSER=5000 and you get a 5 GB
RA81 disk volume.

b) use VMS to build volume sets and the like (should give you a single
disk volume with 16 TB ... if you have the diskspace on you host OS)

Btw, as recommended, read the vax_doc.txt provided in the source file set
- some options are a bit hidden in the text, but after reading it some
times, you might grasp the ideas ... and of course, some understanding of
VMS and "real" VAXes might be helpful :-)

If you make any experiences with all that (positive or negative), it would
be nice if you could post a short note about it.

regards,
Andreas

Dr Robert Young <rcyoung at aliconsultants.com>
17.11.2005 06:06