[Simh] greater disk & memory capacity

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Tue Mar 8 12:04:40 EST 2005

Hi,

this is quite easy and I think it is more or less understandable explained
in the readme:

The restriction is related to the largest available "real" RA-style disk
the RA92 with 1.5GB (all other disks are smaller anyway).

so if you use the
  set rq0 ra92
statement, you will get a 1.5GB ra92 disk.

for larger disks (and some _very unlikely_ incompatibilities), you should
use
  set rq0 rauser=[sizeMB]
i.e.
  set rq0 rauser=2000

this gives a 2GB RA-Style disk (in fact, a RA82 with the capacity specified
in the statement above) to your VAX (I use it and it works fine).
The maximum is either 2GB or 1000GB (with extended addressing, but you will
have enabled this anyway for 512MB RAM)

for more details, see  vax_doc.txt  section 2.4.2 (RQDX / MSCP disk
controllers)

Kind Regards / Cordialments / Saludos Cordiales / Vriendelijke Groeten /
Cumprimentos / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Andreas Bucher

                      -demijohn-
                      <hellpenny at gmail.co         To:      simh at trailing-edge.com
                      m>                          cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject: [Simh] greater disk & memory capacity
                      simh-bounces at traili
                      ng-edge.com

                      08.03.2005 17:01
                      Please respond to
                      -demijohn-

Hi,

  This is relating to the Vax emulator...
 First time poster, long time lurker.  Could someone please illuminate
whether it's possible to emulate a disk larger than 1.5 GB?
I've caught tantalizing glimpses that it should be possible
to attain 512MB memory and up to a terabyte of disk (not sure
if that's a terabyte total or on a single disk) ...
I'm interested in 4GB or 9GB disk capactity.

  If this IS possible, someone please point out how (and add
to the FAQ).

  (BTW, SIMH is the coolest thing I have ever seen !)

-JM

P.S> giving away gmail accounts to anyone who helps out
(not that everyone who wants one hasn't already got one)