[Simh] RE: VMS "initialize /badblocks=" with SIMH disk image

Will Kranz will_kranz at softhome.net
Mon Mar 21 06:58:08 EST 2005

Greetings:
I'm a newbie in the vast field of VMS and SIMH in particular, but am having
what seems odd behavior doing this.  If I just initialize a new image all works
as it should, and the bad block table is empty.  However if I want to force
an inaccessable region via the use of bad blocks (more below) it creates
the link to the badblk.sys in the header, but doesn't seem to write the
data block
to the image at the end of the file where it says it should be.  Has anybody
noticed this, or have a suggestion other than 'don't add bad blocks to an image
file!'?

Since what I am attempting is a bit odd, let me explain that I want to create
a hybrid VMS CD image that also contains an ISO region.  I came across a
nice discussion of this at  http://www.djesys.com/vms/cdrom.html.  It points
to http://support.tditx.com/~odsiso/index.html which is accessable but about
4 years old with some stale links.  I thought SIMH might be the perfect vehicle
for this but hit the snag above.  If anyone has played with hybrid CDs and VMS
I'd be guite interested in how you did it.  The stale links are for some of the
utilities that help support the process, they seem to have disappeared beyond
site of my search engines....

Thanks, Will