[Simh] Simh Running under Host OS facility & shutting down host.

Ron Hudson ron.hudson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 11:28:36 EST 2005

I would like to have a PDP11 or VAX running in the background on my
laptop. But the startup
and shutdown procedures are time consuming and I am prone to forget to
shutdown the emulation
before I shutdown the host os.

If Simh responded to a signal of some sort to shutdown and create a
"state" file, When the
host OS goes down it could signal simh to go down too.

If simh had a command line flag  "simh -reload" that would look for a
state file and load it
and resume operation (I know the time would be off wouldn't it... cross
that bridge...)

A good os-independent signal would be the creation of a file or
directory in the simh
directory named "shutdown". Unix of course has signals and
/sbin/shutdown  uses them.