[Simh] generated tape images

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Thu Jul 28 15:55:39 EDT 2005

>>> Rich Alderson <simh at alderson.users.panix.com> 07/28/05 3:41 PM >>>
> It does not appear that simulated tape drives will create multiple tape images
> when the output stream is larger than a single tape "should" hold.  While this
> is not an issue between simulated hosts, it creates a problem when one tries to
> move images between simulated hardware and the real thing.

Hardware-wise, what you want is for the emulated tape drive to generate an
EOT when the tape is "full" (where full would ideally be measured in feet
used but maybe good enough is when it is greater than some number of
megabytes and be on the conservative side so it doesn't overflow
when writing a real physical tape).

The PDP-11 TMSCP tape driver (pdp11_tq.c) has a "TEST_EOT" macro
in the sources that I think does this, but I don't see it in the PDP-10 emulator
(pdp10_tu.c) or the other PDP-11 tape drivers.  I think you just need to copy
the macro over and put it in similar places.

Tim.