[Simh] generated tape images

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Jul 29 11:00:00 EDT 2005

On 28 Jul 2005 at 15:41, Rich Alderson wrote:

> It does not appear that simulated tape drives will create multiple tape
> images when the output stream is larger than a single tape "should"
> hold.

I implemented this for the HP 7970 drives (see "HP2100/hp2100_ms.c" in the
source distribution; search for "TCAP" to see how it's done).  For example,
one may do:

  SET MSCx REEL=600

...to cause an EOF after about 600 (or 1200, or 2400) feet of simulated
tape are used.  In the absence of a REEL command, or if REEL=0 is
specified, then the tape is of "unlimited" length.

Essentially, I call "sim_tape_eot" in the base SIMH tape simulation library
to check if the current position is beyond the calculated capacity.  The
latter is simply reel size in inches multiplied by tape bytes-per-inch
density.  Note that the reel size is pessimistic -- more data will fit than
the reel size would indicate -- because IRGs and EOF gaps aren't tracked
(although they could be; might be a nice option for the tape library).

Adding reel sizes to the HP tape drive took about two lines of code,
exclusive of the UI.

                                      -- Dave