[Simh] Other simulations

ethan.dicks at icecube.wisc.edu ethan.dicks at icecube.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 11 19:00:57 EST 2005

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:27:29AM -0600, Carey Tyler Schug wrote:
> Yes, some Cisco routers used Motorola 68k chips. But AFAIR, the 68k chip
> only was there as a supervisor and control CPU, while the heavy lifting
> (flinging packets all over the place) was done by special purpose chips
> which were just told by the 68k what they had do to.

AFAIK, the 'heavy lifting chips' designs are common among recent
routers... back in the day of 68K-based hardware, I think things were less
specialized (like the AGS+ router I have in the closet that's 68020-based,
on a (modified?) Multibus backplane.

As also mentioned, though, legal access to IOS, even older versions, is a
real concern, as I don't think Cisco likes to see that stuff on 3rd-party
hardware.

-ethan