[Simh] Other simulations

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Thu Feb 10 15:06:12 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:27:29AM -0600, Carey Tyler Schug wrote:
> Has anybody ever considered trying to simulate things that are not
> central processing units?
>
> I'm thinking of things like Cisco routers.  That would be a little off
> the original purpose of SIMH.  Yes, a Cisco 2500  series router is a
> "historically significant computing device", but the impetuous for it
> would be all of us trying to learn Cisco routing to get certified.  I
> think the 2500 uses a 68000 cpu chip.  I suspect the interfaces are not
> published, so that might make it impossible, but I don't know.

Yes, some Cisco routers used Motorola 68k chips. But AFAIR, the 68k chip
only was there as a supervisor and control CPU, while the heavy lifting
(flinging packets all over the place) was done by special purpose chips
which were just told by the 68k what they had do to.
So emulating it is not exactly easy - and then there is the question
with obtaining legal copies of the operating system to run on the
simulated router.

Regards,
      Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison