[Simh] VAX network

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Thu Dec 15 09:23:40 EST 2005

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-12-15 13:59:51 +1300, Drazen Vidakovic <Drazen.Vidakovic at legislationdirect.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>I have implemented VAX cluster under simh. Three vaxes under SuSE linux
>>connected with Gigabit switch.
>>Problem is that network performance never reaches beyond 1Mb.
>>Can anybody help?

Well I've never worked on vaxclusters, but I have used MicroVAX II's
extensively
with Unix, and we did not have any trouble running an ethernet at 10 Mbps.

Since the emulator is <<faster>> than the microvax, and the "device" runs
at host speed, not emulator speed, it seems perfectly reasonable to run
faster than 1 Mbps.

On the other hand, I just did a copy of a file on an emulated machine
(not a vax though) over
SIMH ethernet (using NFS) and got 2 Mbps.  Sigh.

-Larry