[Simh] VAX network

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Dec 15 01:06:38 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 13:59:51 +1300, Drazen Vidakovic <Drazen.Vidakovic at legislationdirect.co.nz> wrote:
> I have implemented VAX cluster under simh. Three vaxes under SuSE linux
> connected with Gigabit switch.
> Problem is that network performance never reaches beyond 1Mb.
> Can anybody help?

I guess this situation won't change. SIMH is an *emulator*, so it
emulates the whole network device, nut just the functionality to send
a single ethernet packed.

What probably *could* be done in some way would be to hack the
operating system to not use an emulated device, but adding a "SIMHNI"
(SIMH Network Interface) driver which uses a more clever way of
transmitting a packet.

While this might work, I'm not sure if it's clever. This would break
the line between the emulator and the operating system it's running.
(Not that is hasn't been done, think of the extended boot ROM for VAX
allowing 512MB of RAM...)

So the answer is: This won't work, except if you write a new VMS
driver and a matching backend for SIMH.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O