[Simh] GPX Graphics for VAX

Andrew Balaam andrew at genna.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 15:40:38 EDT 2005

I have used the SIMH emulation system on and off for quite a while, and
find it a fine VAX emulator. I appreciate that SIMH is a general purpose
emulation package rather than purely a VAX emulator - but VAX is my prime
interest.

I have a number of old CAD packages that I still run on real VAXen
(3100/76s) and (4000/90). I would really like to run this stuff on an
emulator. As the speed of modern computers improves, so the emulation
speeds improve - If I remember correctly, SIMH running on an AMD XP2800
under Linux is faster than a 3100/76.

I believe I am correct in saying that:-
1.	The fastest VAXstation that supports a GPX graphics card is the
3100/76
2.	VWS never supported (officially or unofficially) an SPX graphics card.

The software I have requires VWS.

I know that DEC produced a migration package that allowed VWS software to
run on top of X (i.e. DECwindows). I have used this, and it does work,
though it is not the most reliable nor convenient piece of software.

I suppose, What I am working up to asking is; what are the chances of
implementing an emulation of the GPX graphics adapter and the keyboard
and mouse devices for the SIMH VAX emulator?

It is a job I would be prepared to look at, though I have absolutely no
documentation on the GPX, keyboard or mouse hardware, and have (at the
moment) no idea how to add things to SIMH, nor a very good understanding
of the VAX I/O subsystem etc...

I also appreciate that SIMH is currently platform independent - and
adding such a peripheral would probably be difficult (if not impossible)
to do and preserve the platform independence (Unix uses X, Windows
doesn't etc...), though if I had the necessary information I would be
happy to produce/use an X window only version.

Off-topic...
If anybody is interested, I am writing an emulator for an old English
computer called Susie - http://www.geocities.com/susievem/SusieV.html

Andrew.