[Simh] Unix V7 for PDP11

SP spedraja at ono.com
Tue Aug 10 11:59:10 EDT 2004

This is what I think, but it don't works. I'm almost sure this is a matter
of addressing or so, but the lack of the /usr/sys directory tree in the V7
software kit available for SIMH don't let me to do some probes more
advanced.

This information is available in the classic paper from the Unix
Programmer's Manual vol.2, names "Setting Up Unix-Seventh Edition", in the
paragraph named "Reconfiguration". It speaks about the device drivers by
default in Unix V7, begin these:

* DC11 - Support 4 lines
* DH11 - Handle 3 DH11's with a full complement of 48 lines
* DN11 - Can Handle 4 DN's
* DU11 can handle one DU
* KL/DL driver can handle one single DL11-A, B or C, and no DL11-E's

To change these, you must edit, in the directory /usr/sys/dev, the source
files for these device drivers, in essence dc.c, dh.c, dn.c, kl.c.

Exists one image disks of V7 in TUHS with some hacks, and this includes the
sys source code. I can't compile it because is fault of the tty.c module.
But is interesting to see one dz.c module in the /usr/sys/dev directory.

I shall put some time in the effort to check this, but other hands in the
task would be helpful and agreed. With the level actually reached by the
SIMH simulator for PDP11 is a real pity don't have one real Unix V7
multiuser and multitasking running by there.

Next chapter could be to check the UUCP connections between two V7 systems
running... :-)

Cheers
Sergio