[Simh] Unix V7 for PDP11

Kevin Brunt k.brunt at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 11:54:58 EDT 2004

I suspect not.

The DH11 is/was a UNIBUS terminal multiplexer which was around early
enough to be described in the 1972 PDP11 Peripherals Handbook. I think
one DH11 did 16 lines. From its description in the Handbook, it sounds
as if a DH11 plus distribution panels plus modem support occupied as
much volume as a complete QBUS system. The DH11 did DMA on output; the
Unix V7 clist structure, with 14 characters per queue element, evolved
to fit in with DH11 DMA.

The DHQ11 (at least as supported by SIMH) is an 8-line QBUS device.
Whether there is any programming commonality with the DH11, I don't
know, but I would doubt very much whether the Unix V7 code would run
unmodified.

Getting multiple DL11 support into SIMH would probably be easier; RT11
multi-terminal support could use it as well...

Kevin