[Simh] Newbie questions about VMS for VAX

Hunter Goatley goathunter at goatley.com
Wed May 6 08:41:02 EDT 2020

On 5/6/2020 6:47 AM, Vassil Daskalov wrote:
> I have no access to physical Itanium,
> Alpha or VAX hardware, so I plan to use SIMH to emulate a VAX machine.
> Such configuration is certainly able to run NetBSD, so it should be
> able to run at least some older versions of (Open)VMS, right?

Yes.

> 1. Can I still use the HPE hobbyist program, which, as I understand,
> is closing? I tried to subscribe to it, but apparently it requires me
> to be a member of some DEC club, and I have no idea how to do that. On
> some webpages of these clubs I read that membership is free if I'm a
> DEC or HPE customer, but I'm not one. Does this mean that I have to
> pay money in order to use a hobbyist installation of VMS? If it is
> possible for free, can someone tell me the easiest way to obtain a
> license?

 From a post from Steven M Jones last week:

    Should be able to do that here:
    https://www.hpe.com/h41268/live/index_e.aspx?qid=24548

    You'll need to be affiliated with a group in their list. I recommend
    DECUServe, my understanding is they don't have any geographic
    requirements. You can do that by telnet or ssh to
    eisner.decuserve.org, username REGISTRATION (no password, just hit
    Return), and follow the prompts. It'll take some time for the data
    to propagate to HPE if you have to create an account, measured in
    days not weeks.

> 2. About the versions of (Open)VMS. As I understand, 7.3 is the newest
> version for VAX, and it's still rather old, but I'm okay with that,
> and possibly with even older versions. Does the HPE hobbyist program
> license older versions than 7.3 for the VAX?

The hobbyist PAKs work with all versions of VAX/VMS (OpenVMS VAX).

>   Do all versions require
> licenses?

PAKs were introduced with VMS V5.0, if memory serves.

>   There are various old VMS versions circulating over the
> Internet, are they any good?

All versions of VMS are good. ;-) But later versions certainly have more
features. If I were starting just to play with it, I'd start with V7.3.

--
Hunter
------