[Simh] Newbie questions about VMS for VAX

Vassil Daskalov vbdasc at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:47:07 EDT 2020

Hello. First, I'm sorry for the newbie message, but I have some
questions I never was able to find satisfying answers to. So,
basically I want as a hobby to run VMS, to play with it, etc.
preferably with some added software, such as programming language
translators, networking etc. I have no access to physical Itanium,
Alpha or VAX hardware, so I plan to use SIMH to emulate a VAX machine.
Such configuration is certainly able to run NetBSD, so it should be
able to run at least some older versions of (Open)VMS, right? Now, the
questions.

1. Can I still use the HPE hobbyist program, which, as I understand,
is closing? I tried to subscribe to it, but apparently it requires me
to be a member of some DEC club, and I have no idea how to do that. On
some webpages of these clubs I read that membership is free if I'm a
DEC or HPE customer, but I'm not one. Does this mean that I have to
pay money in order to use a hobbyist installation of VMS? If it is
possible for free, can someone tell me the easiest way to obtain a
license?

2. About the versions of (Open)VMS. As I understand, 7.3 is the newest
version for VAX, and it's still rather old, but I'm okay with that,
and possibly with even older versions. Does the HPE hobbyist program
license older versions than 7.3 for the VAX? Do all versions require
licenses? There are various old VMS versions circulating over the
Internet, are they any good?

Again, sorry if these questions have obvious answers; because for me,
they don't. Thanks in advance.