[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon Mar 23 15:00:23 EDT 2020

On 23-Mar-20 14:36, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Mar 23, 2020, at 1:29 PM, Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> wrote:

>> On the VAX 730: as far as I'm aware it's the only VAX built out of
>> standard LSI CPU components. The guts of the CPU is AMD 2901
>> bit-slice chips. All other DEC microprogrammed machines I can think
>> of had their own purpose-designed logic.

The PDP-11s, like the 11/05 were ttl, the CPU ALU was something like
74181 4 bit slices.  I don't count them as "real" microcoded machines
for some reason - perhaps because the ucode was all ROM, and IIRC there
was no assembler for it.

The KS10 uses 2901 for its CPU - because of the 1/2 word arithmetic,
it's actually 40 bits wide.

The 780 is TTL.  The 785 is the same machine, upgraded to 74S.

The UDA data mover used 2901s so cleverly that it went into several more
generations of disk controllers.  It  timeslices the 2901 such that it
runs two programs - one on the A and one on the B phase of each clock cycle.