[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 10:44:35 EDT 2020

> On Mar 23, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Dan Gahlinger <dgahling at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I remember they opened the chassis a number of times to show off that bar, the part was indeed labelled "FUBAR", it was the source of some laughs.

FUBAR is the name of a 780 CSR (in the UBA: failed unibus address register); perhaps it was used in the 730 as well.  I'm sure the engineers got a kick out of being able to sneak that acronym past the writers and managers.

> there was what I'd call a bug in the vms on that system.  you could rename a .dir that had files within it to say .dat then delete the .dat if you set it /nodirectory, and all the files within the dir would still use up disk space, even though there was now no longer any way to work with them. so you'd have this missing disk space basically forever, still counting against the users quota.
> I know because I did that at least twice.

VMS is like Unix: directories are name to inode number maps (not called "inode"; I forgot the correct name).  A file doesn't need a name.  I remember RSX had an explicit way to reference a file by its number, don't remember what VMS did.

	paul