[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 22 20:46:30 EDT 2020

VAX-11/730 with a PDP-8 FEP would have been a rather odd creature.

But VMS V2.4 sounds plausible for 1978. V3 or V4 feels like they should
have been later.

The VAX-11/782 was actually a multiprocessor VAX-11/780. Shared memory,
but it was ASMP. Simh cannot emulate that one. However, you'll get
mostly the same feeling with just a VAX-11/780 instead.

There are no license manager for such old versions of VMS, so they will
run no matter if you have PAKs or not.

The FORTRAN compiler was, I would guess, FORTRAN-IV-PLUS. Which was a
DEC variant. Essentially FORTRAN-IV on stereoids. Lots of things that
was in there eventually turned up in FORTRAN-77 as well.

And yes, I think most people agree it is "Vaxen".

   Johnny