[Simh] Is it possible to simulate the first Vaxen I ever used?

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 22 20:20:54 EDT 2020

I believe it was a Vax 730 with a PDP-8 FEP, inside the main chassis it actually had a part labelled (in big letters) "FUBAR" 🙂

If I remember correctly, it ran VMS v2.4

The Vax I have the most memories of though, which I'd also like to simulate,
was a Vax 782 (two 780s clustered I believe), and I'm not entirely sure of the VMS version, could be v3.2 or v4.2

People here would know which version was most likely in (guessing mid) 1978 in North America (Ontario/Canada at Western University (UWO)).
I have lots of printouts, but I'm not sure I ever captured the version.

Of course, I'll need the VMS images (which I may have) and the PAKs for these versions...

For sentimental/nostalgic purposes...

I remember Fortran on the 782 was kinda wonky at the time, it didn't seem to be able to make up its mind whether it was Fortran/IV or Fortran-77 🙂

Note: someone decades ago told me the plural for Vax was "Vaxen", and it just stuck...

Dan.