[Simh] What do you want to see vms future look like?

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 16:01:36 EDT 2020

There are other projects going through semi similar things, like the Commodore computers.

it's increasingly difficult to get hardware any more, go ahead, find me an Amiga 4000T working, at a decent price, or a 1581 drive, you can't.

find a vaxstation decent model, or find the last model manufactured, or a Microvax II...

Eventually the hardware will be gone, the stuff we have will stop working.
I'm not so sure that future is very far away.

eg: what happens to vms in 2038 ? the new y2k bug.

so what do group members want to happen, realistically?

would you want a perpetual hobbyist license and be left with only simh? not that this is a bad thing...

what about something like porting the "guts" of vms into Linux?
making DCL a Linux shell, vms becoming part of the Linux kernel, things of this nature?
or (shudder) part of gns3, a vm under virtualbox, vmware, containers, or such?

I'd really like to see the SMP version of simh rolled in somehow.

This being said I'm going to start scanning and sharing my secret stash of vms utils that people are not supposed to have access to, eg: termspy.
yes, does exactly what it sounds like.

Dan.