[Simh] OpenVMS Hobbyist Program

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 8 09:12:52 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-08 13:33, Dan Gahlinger wrote:
> You're probably "safe" to do so if you're in a country that is not part
> of The Berne Convention, YMMV.

Probably not. The Berne convention makes copyright automatic on work. A
country that have not signed the Berne convention does not make
copyright non-existent in that country. It only means that whoever
wanted to have a recognized copyright needed to maybe explicitly
register for it. However, I would bet that if that was needed, DEC did
that paperwork already a long time ago. So it's protected pretty much
everywhere.

The US had not signed the Berne convention when VMS was introduced...

> But again this exposes an age-old issue regarding "abandonware".

Indeed. Except in this case it's even less of "abandoned". VMS is still
in active development. It's just that they stopped supporting a specific
hardware platform. So they abandoned some hardware.

> Will the Vax VMS copyright therefore expire in 2046?
> eg 25 years after the license expires.

Very unlikely. Copyright is usually until 70 years (currently) after the
authors death. However, when copyrights are held by corporations, it can
be difficult to talk about the authors death. But for sure it will not
be before 70 years of initial publication. Which for VMS would then be
in 2047.
The expiration of the license definitely have no bearing here.

The US extended the period when it got close to the time when Disney
copyrights would expire, so chances are it will get extended again
soon... :-)

> We need a hobbyist member with massive pockets to step up and protect it
> for all of us...

Please. :-)

   Johnny