[Simh] OpenVMS Hobbyist Program

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:37:30 EST 2020

Yes, quite important seems to be an understatement. HPE is dropping the
program, apparently because the OpenVMS product line is now the
responsibility of VSI. But I can find no sign that VSI will continue the
hobbyist license program in any form. Those of us with actual
Alpha/Itanium/Vax hardware may be completely shut out?

I own two Alphas and also run Vax on Simh. This is not amusing. VSI appears
to be focused on OpenVMS for x86 processors, which is fine if they can do
that. But without a way to renew license keys our Alpha and Vax systems
will be dead silicon. I don't require support or even patches. I just need
to keep my systems running.