[Simh] pdp11 - console input with high bit set

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 24 19:01:44 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-24 19:53, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:13 PM Paul Moore <paulmoore100 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Johnny, I don't know what that means for simh
>
> On an xterm session, there may not be a way to do it.  If you were
> running simh from a dumb terminal on a serial port, you could set your
> terminal to do 7E1 (even parity), and possibly a matching  "stty
> parenb -parodd" , but the arg 'parenb' appears not to be valid from a
> window session.

7E1 obviously will not work when the software is expecting MARK parity.
stty settings might work, but I would generally assume that simh would
remove such things so that it can instead be applied inside the
simulation, if wanted.

Of course, right now my mind is drawing a blank, but I'm trying to
remember if 7N2 could actually be a trick. But I can't remember if the
stop bits equals mark or space.

But if you have a reasonable terminal, it should be able to also
properly do MARK parity as well.

   Johnny