[Simh] Design considerations in the J11

Don North ak6dn at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 12 13:48:24 EDT 2020

On 7/12/2020 3:24 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Bob Supnik wrote:
>> - In order to have a "CAD forward" strategy, with tools replacing
>> paper design, I asked Dick Clayton, the responsible VP, for a
>> dedicated KS10 (1/3 of a mip!) for the project. He thought this was
>> totally outrageous - a dedicated time-sharing system for just one
>> team! - but eventually authorized the acquisition.
> Did you use SUDS for the J11, and if so did it run on the KS10?  Or was
> a KL10 needed for SUDS?  I'm curious since we have SUDS running on ITS,
> but I don't have much insight into how it was used at DEC.

Can't comment on J11 chip design use, but DEC engineering started using
SUDS for production PCB level schematic design starting in 1979 or so.

PDP-11/44 schematics for example are done in SUDS. "S. Foonly" did a lot
of work until the designers figured out how to put their own sig's in the
system.

VS60 terminals running off DEC KL10 systems running TOPS-10 were used.

--
Don North
AK6DN