[Simh] Terminal emulation = MS-Kermit!

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 3 06:07:35 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-03 04:55, Tony Nicholson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
> <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>
>     Actually, xterm can support both regis and sixel. However, I don't
>     think
>     it supports soft fonts.
>
>     I have not tested the graphics extensions to xterm very much though, so
>     I don't know how good they might be.
>
>     I am truly curious if MAME really handles the soft scrolling as done by
>     the VT100...
>

> The VTTEST program will help verify features of a terminal emulation
> (for VT100 and variants, VT200-series, etc).
>
> See https://invisible-island.net/vttest/

That VTTEST page have a couple of slightly incorrect bits of
information, and the soft scrolling is a purely visual effect. The
scrolling regions as such is also something that needs testing, but the
soft scrolling part is yet another step on top of that.

So while VTTEST (in any version) would be a fun test, I would expect
VTTEST should not be able to spot any errors if you are running the
original VT100 firmware, as that is by definition doing the correct things.

But correct emulation of the hardware is yet again a different topic.

   Johnny