[Simh] V6 on PDP-11 and 4.0BSD on Vax - automated installs now available

Tom Perrine tom.perrine at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 13:02:05 EST 2020

SIMH wizards,

Thanks to your help, I've finished automating the V6/PDP-11 and
4.0BSD/Vax780 in GCP installations.

https://github.com/tomperrine/unix-v6-pdp11-simh-gcp

https://github.com/tomperrine/unix-40bsd-vax-simh-gcp

Anyone with a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account can now play with these
two seminal operating systems (for free) without having to deep dive into
GCP or SIMH.

By default, both installations will install into "f1-micro" instances which
are essentially "free", as Google will give you a credit each month equal
to the cost of running an f1 7x24 for 4 weeks.

Hopefully this will make it easier for a new generation of users to learn
about and understand these operating systems that directly led to the
Internet as we know it.

My next stop is 4.2 BSD in GCP. After that, I will be trying to bring up
two Orange Book A1 security kernels - KSOS-11 and KSOS-32. These two secure
operating systems require PWB (or v7) and 4.2 BSD as bootstraps to running
systems.

Thanks for the assistance you all provided as I learned SIMH.

--tep

[image: IMAG0008.jpg]