[Simh] tty magic(?) for talking to bootloaders?

Tom Perrine tom.perrine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 02:09:17 EDT 2019

FANTASTIC!

That's exactly the thing I needed. The rest has been ugly shell coding and
weird old-school UNIX tricks (my first UNIX was PWB!).

Here's an example:

To configure (edit source code) and compile df.c to know about the rk disks
you would normally do this:

# chdir /usr/source/s1
# ed df.c
/rp0/d
.-2a
  "/dev/rk0",
  "/dev/rk1",
.
# cc -s -O df.c
# cp a.out /bin/df
# rm a.out

Instead I have to do this to get around the fact that V6 UNIX echo doesn't
interpret \nnn or anything else:

> expect '#' send 'cc -s -O df.c ; cp a.out /bin/df ; rm a.out\r' ; continue

expect '#' send 'echo \'/rp0/dX.-2aX  "/dev/rk0",X  "/dev/rk1",X.XwXqX\' |
> tr X \\\\012 | ed df.c \r' ; continue

Thanks!  In the past few hours I've completely scripted everything from the
initial tape boot through customizing and building a new kernel, loading
the extra filesystems, activating the ttys and inbound TELNET, and I'm DONE.

--tep