[Simh] tty magic(?) for talking to bootloaders?

Richard Cornwell rich at sky-visions.com
Mon Sep 23 21:42:15 EDT 2019

Hi,

   You might want to check out what I have done for the B5500 and
   PDP10.

   http://sky-visions.com/burroughs/xiii/

   Are the files that will rebuild MCP XIII from source, including
   build jobs.

   The install and load TOPS 10 5.03 or 6.03 you can find the simH init
   files here:

    http://sky-visions.com/dec/tops10.shtml

        http://sky-visions.com/dec/tops503/

        http://sky-visions.com/dec/tops603/

    These scripts use simH expect send to drive the simulators.

Rich

> So far I've got Multics, V7 and BSD4 running on SIMH in Google Cloud
> Platform (GCP). I'm packaging some of these up into more turnkey
> images and scripts so that more people can easily play with these
> Grand Olde Operating Systemes.
>
> My end goal is a script that can be run on your local computer that
> creates the cloud instance, installs and upgrades the OS, compiles
> SIMH for the target HW, and boots the guest OS, all without any
> needed input. I've got everything EXCEPT how to kick the OS boot in
> the OS bootloader(s).
>
> My problem is that I probably haven't spent enough time with the docs
> to figure out how to feed scripts "past" SIMH and into the
> bootloaders.
>
> I'd also love to be able to inject commands into the SIMH process
> through the API, but that's a different story.
>
> For example, the PDP-11 V6 boot looks like this:
>
> test-pdp11:~$ !80simh-master/BIN/pdp11 dboot.ini PDP-11 simulator
> V4.0-0 Current git commit id: d40268d1Disabling XQ@
> Now how do I get scripted input into the simulator so that I can give
> the bootloader the "unix" filename at the @ prompt? I have the same
> problem with the Multics bootloader, too.
> Clearly I'm not being smart this week.
> Ideas?
> --tep

Richard Cornwell