[Simh] PDP-11 -- MFPI, etc, with memory mgmt off

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sat Sep 21 22:28:41 EDT 2019

Seems like an appropriate question to me.

The answer is no. If the MMU is not operating, the MT/FPI/D instructions
operate on physical addresses and are limited to 16bit addresses.

The PSW mode bits (in particular, previous mode) are operative for
choosing which stack pointer is used if the operand specification is R6.
So MTPI SP will store the operand popped from the stack in the stack
pointer selected by PSW<prev_mode>. The address calculation on the stack
is purely physical, ie, 16 bits.

If the MMU is not enabled, programs can only see memory addresses 000000
- 157777 and the IO page. DMA devices can see (on the Unibus or the
original Qbus) 18 bits of memory addresses or (on the Q22 bus or a
Unibus system with an IO map) 22 bits of memory addresses.

/Bob Supnik