[Simh] VAXstation 4000/VLC Boot Failure

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Sun May 5 04:11:31 EDT 2019

On 04/05/2019 23:36, Tony Nicholson wrote:

> On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 8:03 AM <mark at wickensonline.co.uk
> <mailto:mark at wickensonline.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Final try for this evening – I installed VAX/VMS 7.3 which went
>     fine. I then installed DW Motif 125 with license. I get a crash on
>     DW Motif startup. I tried this with Matt’s build of /VLC, and then
>     my build, and then the latest beta 4.0 binaries.
>

>     **** Fatal BUG CHECK, version = V7.3     DECWINDOWS, DECwindows
>     fatal error
>

>         Crash CPU: 00        Primary CPU: 00
>

>         Active/available CPU masks: 00000001/00000001
>

>         Current process = DECW$SERVER_0
>

>         Register dump
>
>      **** Memory dump complete, dump written  to unit number 0

DECwindows will expect the LCG to be present on the /VLC, but it's not
implemented yet. You might be able to set WINDOW_SYSTEM to 0 to get
around this problem:

>>> B /R5:1 DKAxxx

SYSBOOT> SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 0

SYSBOOT> C

This should prevent DECwindows graphics drivers from being loaded at
system startup. Also update SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT to reflect this
change in case you run AUTOGEN.

Matt