[Simh] VAXstation 4000/VLC Boot Failure

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Sat May 4 18:36:18 EDT 2019

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 8:03 AM <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Final try for this evening – I installed VAX/VMS 7.3 which went fine. I
> then installed DW Motif 125 with license. I get a crash on DW Motif
> startup. I tried this with Matt’s build of /VLC, and then my build, and
> then the latest beta 4.0 binaries.
>

> **** Fatal BUG CHECK, version = V7.3     DECWINDOWS, DECwindows fatal error
>

>     Crash CPU: 00        Primary CPU: 00
>

>     Active/available CPU masks: 00000001/00000001
>

>     Current process = DECW$SERVER_0
>

>     Register dump
>
>  **** Memory dump complete, dump written  to unit number 0

[snip]

Hello Mark.

There are a whole host of "unknowns" with the newly released VAXstation
graphics - I believe
they're not fully implemented yet on all the various models (maybe Matt
Burke can confirm this).

As you found out, the minimum supported VAX/VMS version for the
VAXstation4000/VLC is
VAX/VMS V5.5-2H4.  There are also a number of system updates for this
version (including
a couple of mandatory ones and the Y2K updates).  If you don't already have
access to these,
I can provide some that I grabbed prior to patch access being withdrawn by
HP.  Reply to me
privately.

Also the same goes for OpenVMS VAX V7.3.  If you have updates, I'd try
installing these too
(same offer - I can provide the updates I have if you need them).

Perhaps you should report any subsequent failures via the GitHub issues at
  https://github.com/simh/simh

Tony

--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>