[Simh] Multiple sim_video windows?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Mar 15 12:52:34 EDT 2019

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 1:40 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> I'm using the upcoming SIMH KA10 simulator to restore MIT's Incompatible
> Timesharing System.  This is a multiuser system.  As such, there is a need for
> multiple user interfaces.  The AI lab PDP-10 had many display and input
> devices:
>
> - Teletypes and display terminals.  These are simulated with TMXR lines.
>
> - DEC 340 CRT display.  Phil Budne wrote a simulation using a GUI window.
>
> - SAIL keyboard from Stanford.  I updated the 340 simulation to take
>   keyboard events and feed them to this keyboard simulation.
>
> - DEC color scope.  An experimental color CRT display.
>
> - Sylvania Data Tablet.  Using a stylus to input X and Y coordinates.
>
> - Vidissector, digitizing camera input.
>
> I would like to be able to open up more windows: one for the color scope, and
> perhaps another one for the tablet.  As far as I understand, sim_video is limited
> to just one window.

Well, if there really were configurations which had software support that can still be found today that actually drove multiple display devices simultaneously then the current sim_video is certainly insufficient.  Adding multiple video display window support is a project unto itself and dragging the display layer along with it is added complexity.  If you want to do that, feel free and I'll help when needed, but since your project is driving the need I'm not sure we'll be getting a long list of folks willing to jump in as well...

> I also have a need for video input, but maybe that's beoynd the scope of this
> thread.

It certainly is beyond the scope of the current sim_video which covers display graphics and Human Interface details (mouse, keyboard, tablet, etc..).

- Mark