[Simh] Multiple sim_video windows?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Mar 13 04:39:47 EDT 2019

Hello,

I'm using the upcoming SIMH KA10 simulator to restore MIT's Incompatible
Timesharing System.  This is a multiuser system.  As such, there is a
need for multiple user interfaces.  The AI lab PDP-10 had many display
and input devices:

- Teletypes and display terminals.  These are simulated with TMXR lines.

- DEC 340 CRT display.  Phil Budne wrote a simulation using a GUI window.

- SAIL keyboard from Stanford.  I updated the 340 simulation to take
  keyboard events and feed them to this keyboard simulation.

- DEC color scope.  An experimental color CRT display.

- Sylvania Data Tablet.  Using a stylus to input X and Y coordinates.

- Vidissector, digitizing camera input.

I would like to be able to open up more windows: one for the color
scope, and perhaps another one for the tablet.  As far as I understand,
sim_video is limited to just one window.

I also have a need for video input, but maybe that's beoynd the scope of
this thread.

Any suggestions?