[Simh] some performance issues

gérard Calliet gerard.calliet at pia-sofer.fr
Tue Mar 5 09:13:53 EST 2019

Hello,

Again I have some performance issues with simh.

I built it  on OpenVMS Itanium. It runs on a process with enought
memory, it takes 1 of the 8 CPU Itanium with 100%, no page faults, and
100 BIO by second.

On the emulated VAX we are running processes CPU intensive (old Ada
compiler), they take 100% of the CPU, also very few page fault, very few IO.

And the CPU time is about 2 or 3 times the CPU time on the hardware, and
so elapsed time 3 or 4 times. (For my understanding, it is difficult to
think the same stream of instructions can use different CPU times
between hardware and SIMH).

Where can I do something to improve performance? Are there parameters
(or constant in compilation) in SIMH which could help? And the specific
context is processes doing almost only CPU computing.

on error continue
load -r ka655x.bin
attach NVR ka655.nvr
set cpu 512m
set cpu conhalt
set RL disable
set LPT disable
set TQ disable
set -L rq0 rauser=18000000
attach rq0 datauser2.dsk
set xq mac=08-00-2B-3C-96-75
attach xq eth0
dep bdr 0
b cpu

$ run vax-i64
MicroVAX 3900 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: 8810571d
sim>

Thanks,

Gérard Calliet