[Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 20:52:27 EDT 2019

All,

Is there any particular reason to choose one model of PDP-11 over
another in the sim? I am a user who is usually only interested in using
one of the various programming languages available on the dec oses - I
frequently use RT-11 for BASIC or ASSEMBLY and Unix V6 and V7 for C and
for fun, as well as an occasional foray into RSTS-E and lately RSX 11-M
Plus to try and find the perfect OS for as many programming languages as
I can get in one place. In my language/os explorations, I generally just
grab somebody's example ini file or take a default machine 11/40 or
11/94, but it's been pretty will-nilly on my part. I'd like to have some
kind of rationale related to necessity, but it doesn't really seem to
make much difference. I know the 11/45 had split I/D, making it 'better'
than the 11/40 and that the unibus is different than the q-bus and I'm
sure the hardware support is different between the models, but I haven't
really been prevented from running anything that is runnable... but of
course, if I was prevented, I just chalked it up to who knows why that
didn't work, so I might never know if I'm missing out on the El Dorado
of ancient OSes. Does anyone have some guidelines to help choose which
model configuration is appropriate for various needs? Or, in this day
and age of endless supplies of ram and memory, should I just load it up
to the biggest, baddest, pdp-11 of all time and leave it at that (and if
so, which one is that?).

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF