[Simh] Math Acceleration Support in the AT&T 3B2 Simulator

Seth Morabito web at loomcom.com
Sat Jun 29 12:56:53 EDT 2019

I am pleased to announce that the SIMH AT&T 3B2 simulator now has full support for the WE32106 Math Acceleration Unit. The change is available in the latest sources on GitHub[1].

MAU support can be enabled with the command:

    SET MAU ENABLE

I'm particularly excited about this change because, at long last, it enables full support for the handful of packages that were compiled with MAU support required. That means that the Lucent Y2K patch[2] and the Korn shell[3] now work properly.

If you have a chance, please give it a test. I am sure there are still bugs, but I have tried several floating point benchmarks and torture tests to be sure they behave identically on a real 3B2/310 and on the simulator with MAU support enabled.

For more information about the 3B2 simulator and how to use it, please see https://loomcom.com/3b2/emulator.html

  [1] https://github.com/simh/simh
  [2] https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Miscellaneous/Korn_Shell.img
  [3] https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Miscellaneous/Lucent_Year_2000_Patch.img