[Simh] EXT :Re: VAX emulator slow to configure extra disks

Hittner, David T [US] (MS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Mon Jun 24 14:13:50 EDT 2019

IIRC, the large HSx controllers could define a controller offset number that was added to the individual drive numbers. This would allow multiple HSx controllers to have large non-overlapping disk ID numbering using 8-bit drive plugs: ie. HSx1 at offset 0 could have drives 0..255, HSx2 at offset 256 could have drives 256..511, etc. Not many sites had that many hard drives, although I remember seeing one client that had a massive disk farm attached via HSx controllers..

I seem to remember that the KDA50 or RLV12 controllers had a set of internal dip switches that allowed the same sort of offset disk numbering functionality, but I am not sure.

David