[Simh] Limits on MSCP controllers

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sun Jun 23 13:30:22 EDT 2019

The four ports is not arbitrary. SimH simulates actual hardware. DEC
never built a backplane MSCP controller with more than four ports.

If you want to extend the current RQ simulator to include third party
boards (either SMD-based emulators or SCSI-based emulators), feel free
to add an appropriate mode switch. I don't know what controller ID these
third party boards returned, though, nor do I know how VMS determined
the number of ports per controller.

I think it would be better to understand why VMS is waiting to mount
additional discs. Alternately, just create bigger discs and have fewer
of them.

/Bob