[Simh] RSX-11 M Plus version to try

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jun 22 17:50:12 EDT 2019

You should definitely go with V4.6, which is the latest released version.

To make some more specific comments...

On 2019-06-22 18:09, Will Senn wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm looking to try out something new and different on pdp11 (I've done
> my fair share of v6, v7, rt-11, and rsts and prolly a few others - y'all
> know this cuz about twice a year, I ask a slew of newb questions on the
> list). This year's exploration looks to be rsx-11 m plus... My questions
> are these:
>
> 1.  What version is available to run in simh that has the broadest
> selection of languages (asm, bas, pascal, fortran, etc)?

The available tools are pretty much the same no matter which version you
run. But there are bug fixes and improvements in the OS itself which you
might find useful. Of course, you also need to find and install all of
those tools, which is a bit of work in itself.

> 2. What version runs Johnny's tcp/ip stuff best?

Any V4 should work, but I would really recommend 4.6, as there are
bugfixes and improvements in the various releases which you want to
have. And 4.6 just is the most fixed version.

> 3. What version has lots and lots and lost of documentation around?

Again, all of V4 have pretty much the same documentation. There are some
updates and addenums in some manuals, but essentially the manuals apply
to all V4.

> Also, bonus question - do any of y'all have any great getting started
> guides or books or know where to find them?

This is a complex question. There is the introduction to RSX manual. But
it presents the system from a user point of view. If you want to
understand how to manage the system, there aren't that many short howtos
around. You should probably read the system managers manual. But that's
a big manual to just plow through...

Check http://mim.update.uu.se/manuals/rsx

> My searching around has led me to think 4.6...

Good. :-)

   Johnny