[Simh] dec windows with simh

paulhardy2 at btinternet.com paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 26 09:33:27 EDT 2019

Gérard,
Others have replied about monochrome VAXstations, and if you just want a windowing interface as a step up to VT220, that's the way to go.

If you want to run any serious DECwindows applications, particularly any reliant on colour , then you need the recent implementations of the VCB02 (Dragon) GPX graphics devices by Matt Burke that were merged into the SimH mainstream a couple of months ago.

I've successfully used the VAXstation 3100 model 38 implementation as it corresponds to a mid-life VAXstation implementation that we used a lot at work. It seems to be fine, until you open and then push a full-screen window, at which point the font cache gets corrupted and reading screen menus becomes 'interesting'.

Regards,

--
Paul  Hardy