[Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jul 1 09:08:28 EDT 2019

I can not say why it followed that naming convention, but it did.   The
drives of that day were referred to as 19" technology since that's how they
mounted.   FWIW:   Most manufacturers at the time used the same platter
size as the original IBM 1311 (which as you pointed out was 14"), but not
everyone, for instance, the Fujitsu Eagle used 10.5-inch platter.   FWIW:
I answered a bunch of this in:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-hard-drives-get-smaller-and-smaller-in-size-bigger-and-bigger-in-capacity-every-year-when-the-fundamental-physical-processes-behind-them-do-not-change/answer/Clem-Cole