[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:45:54 EST 2019

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I’m curious as to the provenance of the tape. Where’d you find it and do you know when it’s from? The reason I’m asking is that I just spent a day typing in and debugging/working to comprehend the program SPACWR.BAS from the not so great scanned pages of 101 BASIC Computer Games off of bitsaver. As I was running the result on my SIMH PDP 11 running RSTS/E V06C-03, I made another run at finding the original source and came across this thread. I downloaded the RL01 and mounted in my RSTS 9.6 environment which was sysgen’d with RL support, loaded up the code and printed it out for a comparison. I was shocked how close my read of the scans were to the version here. Part of my surprise was naturally related to the restoration process, but the other came from the fact that the code from this tape doesn’t mention David Ahl, Mary Cole or Ida Potel, whereas they are credited in the source code in 101 games for minor work and debugging. As far as I can tell, other than whitespace, the only differences between my restored version from the 101 games scan and this version, is the additional attribution- which makes me wonder if Ahl, et. al., made ANY meaningful contribution worthy of attribution to the program.

So, when was the tape created, before 101 games or after and who, exactly should have credit for the version therein?

Later,

Will

Sent from my iPhone