[Simh] simh and RSTS/E - problems with getting additional terminal interfaces to work

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Dec 9 10:04:29 EST 2019

RSTS/E (starting with V6B, that is) recognizes devices based on their CSR address, fixed or float.  It doesn't care about vector rules (except for the card reader); instead, it probes the device to find out.  So you need to make sure a device is assigned the proper CSR address by the rules and then RSTS will know it.  You can confirm by doing "hardware list".

In the example shown, you can see that indeed RSTS recognized the additional DL lines.

However.... Prior to V9 or thereabouts (I'd have to search a bit to be more precise), RSTS/E device support including terminal interface support was set at Sysgen.  You could omit controllers that aren't in the build and those would be disabled, but if you include devices not mentioned in the Sysgen they would be silently ignored by RSTS.  Note that INIT (which is what does the hardware display) knows about all supported devices; the fact that a particular RSTS monitor doesn't include the support doesn't bother it.

So the fact that added terminal lines don't work suggests that they weren't in the sysgen.  If there is a config.mac somewhere on the system that might be the one from the sysgen and would tell you what's supported.  Also, sufficiently new RSTS systems have a DCL command "show device" which says what devices the monitor knows about.

	paul