[Simh] EXT : RSTS V10.1 doesn't like QNA

Hittner, David T [US] (MS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Thu Apr 25 17:21:44 EDT 2019

Yes. I had quite a few problems with RSTS and the DEQNA/DELQA(xq) and DEUNA/DELUA(xu) network cards while writing the xq and xu code.
RSTS is the only operating system that attempts to verify the network card functionality by doing some deeper testing rather than just checking for expected register behavior during initialization and ring buffer setup as others do.

Both cards were debugged and initialize on RSTS. Look at the comments in the C files for which version of RSTS was qualified, and/or what was fixed to make RSTS initialize properly.

The best way to find the problem is to look through the RSTS network card sources for the probing during initialization at the fault exit, or if you don't have the RSTS sources, turn on all of the debugging in the xq or xu device and see what is being probed at the time of the fault and check against the controller specifications for the expected behavior.

I don't think any of the network cards can pass full diagnostics on every OS, but they can pass most of the diagnostics.

David Hittner