[Simh] What happened to IDLE?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Sep 20 11:39:08 EDT 2018

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> I grabbed the sources from GIT earlier today. And promptly built the two I'll
> need. PDP11 for one, and the VAX ones for the other on a Raspberry Pi3. I even
> added the options for networking that the README wanted.
>
> So running PDP11 I then saw this happen, and the VAX as well:
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ /home/pi/emul/simh/BIN/pdp11
>
> PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Current        git commit id: 49cfac90
> sim> show cpu
> CPU     11/73, NOCIS, autoconfiguration enabled, idle disabled
>         256KB
> sim> exit
> Goodbye
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ /home/pi/emul/simh/BIN/vax
>
> MicroVAX 3900 simulator V4.0-0 Current        git commit id: 49cfac90
> sim> show cpu
> CPU     idle disabled, model=VAXServer 3900 (KA655), NOAUTOBOOT
>         16MB, HALT to SIMH
> sim> exit
> Goodbye
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $
>
> It shows idle disabled. Okay how do I enable it on both? I haven't decided on a
> target for them but given that networking on SIMH works best connected to a
> fixed source....... Anyway I remembered that any commentary here would
> need to show those first two lines.

You do know that idling starts disabled, right.  You have to explicitly enable it
with a SET CPU IDLE command.  There are certain conditions when the
SET CPU IDLE won't work.

Presuming SET CPU IDLE doesn't work, I could give a better answer if you
provided:
1) the output of SHOW VERSION at the sim> prompt
2) the output produced by make when you built one of these simulators.
and optionally:
3) The configuration file(s) you're using.

- Mark