[Simh] Simulating a GT40

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Sep 4 11:53:58 EDT 2018

On 9/4/18 8:17 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:

> And before more nit's are mentioned: SCALD was developed under government contract, so it became the basis of other
> companies, not just Valid.  But the principals behind it formed Valid - as I often say, IP is people, not source code.
> And while I consider it a schematic capture tool, in reality it's a toolchain that runs from GED (the graphics front
> end) through a compiler and packager before it becomes a wirelist that can be fed to back-end tools.
>
> DEC was one of Valid's first customers - I think the biggest - and had a lot of input into the design.  SUDS was another
> big influence.  The innovation in SCALD was hierarchical design.

I've been searching for the original SCALD code for decades.

It existed at MIT, CMU and Stanford, but those copies have disappeared without a trace. The LLL/Stanford S1 CAD set that
evolved into SCALD is also where Pastel, the extended Pascal that RMS originally worked with in the very early days of
GNU came from.

Yes, way off topic now, but CAD systems are one of my long-time collecting projects.