[Simh] Simulating a GT40

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue Sep 4 11:17:52 EDT 2018

On 04-Sep-18 10:25, Al Kossow wrote:On 9/4/18 6:53 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
>> minor nit/detail ...
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org
>> <mailto:litt at ieee.org>> wrote:
>>
>>>     Once our CAD group moved off the -10s, the next step was Sun
>>>         workstations for schematic capture (VALID).
>>
>> Valid was not Sun Micro Systems.

Yes.  I should have pointed out the ambiguity.
> Eventually Valid switched to Sun.

Also true.
> They started out with their own 68010 multibus hardware
> There was also a tiny 'ScaldStation' Corvus built that
> evolved from the Corvus Concept
>
> Apple switched from Daisy to Valid after the days of Valid's
> proprietary hardware.

SCALD (Valid's software) was also ported to VAXstations (VMS with VWS)
by the late 80s.  It drove development of the VWS emulator for DECwindows.

And before more nit's are mentioned: SCALD was developed under
government contract, so it became the basis of other companies, not just
Valid.  But the principals behind it formed Valid - as I often say, IP
is people, not source code.  And while I consider it a schematic capture
tool, in reality it's a toolchain that runs from GED (the graphics front
end) through a compiler and packager before it becomes a wirelist that
can be fed to back-end tools.

DEC was one of Valid's first customers - I think the biggest - and had a
lot of input into the design.  SUDS was another big influence.  The
innovation in SCALD was hierarchical design.

But we're way off topic here, so I'm going to stop.