[Simh] VAX Simulator 99.9% CPU , and flush nvram never finishes .

James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Wed May 23 22:52:38 EDT 2018

 	Hello Mark , ...  Thank you ...

On Wed, 23 May 2018, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> Hi James,
>> On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 7:03 PM, James W. Laferriere wrote:
...snip...
>>> Third, unless you're preparing to dig deeply under the covers, you probably
>> want to run the optimized vs debug build of the simulator.
>>  	Done .  The High CPU usage is now gone .  Though the never returning
>> to command line prompt on 'exit' is still an issue .  I have to issue a ctrl-Z and
>> then 'kill -HUP %1' to have the process stop .  Also fmi is there a way to get
>> simh to flush output to the logfiles when it gets into such a state ?  Some signal
>> or tool ?
>
> Nothing special like this should be needed.  The hanging behavior you're seeing
> it broken and unexpected.  We'll fix that and no extra mechanism will be needed.
>
> Please identify what your host OS is.  I can see it is some Linux version, but what distribution and version?
 	slackware 14.1 ,  running under VMWare 6.5 .

> Meanwhile, please provide the output produced when building the simulator,
and the output of SHOW VERSION from the sim> prompt after you've made changes.
 	zipd up and attached .  This is a report of git commit time:
2018-05-23T15:52:08-07:00 ,  Still with the SDL v1 .
 	Show version is below Your .sig .

> If the build is finding libSDL (version 1), then presumably it was installed by some
> OS package system.   Uninstall the libsdl-dev package and rebuild and run the
> simulator.
 	I'll do so ,  Just not tonight .

>>> Let us know where this takes you.
>
> - Mark

sim> show version
VAXStation 3900 (KA655) simulator V4.0-0 Current
     Simulator Framework Capabilities:
         64b data
         64b addresses
         Threaded Ethernet Packet transports:PCAP:TAP:NAT:UDP
         Idle/Throttling support is available
         Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) support
         RAW disk and CD/DVD ROM support
         Asynchronous I/O support (Lock free asynchronous event queue)
         Asynchronous Clock support
         FrontPanel API Version 12
     Host Platform:
         Compiler: GCC 4.8.2
         Simulator Compiled as C arch: x64 (Release Build) on May 23 2018 at 17:03:36
         Memory Access: Little Endian
         Memory Pointer Size: 64 bits
         Large File (>2GB) support
         SDL Video support: SDL Version 1.2.15
         PCRE RegEx (Version 8.39 2016-06-14) support for EXPECT commands
         OS clock resolution: 1ms
         Time taken by msleep(1): 1ms
         OS: Linux ns4 3.10.17 #2 SMP Wed Oct 23 16:34:38 CDT 2013 x86_64 AMD
Opteron(tm) Processor 6376 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
         git commit id: ef94dcbe
         git commit time: 2018-05-23T15:52:08-07:00
sim>

| James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network&System Engineer | 3237     Holden Road |  Give me Linux  |
| babydr at baby-dragons.com | Fairbanks, AK. 99709 |   only  on  AXP |