[Simh] Raspbian repository versus Github current

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri May 4 23:48:21 EDT 2018

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> Am I correct in that the version stored somewhere in the Raspbian repositories
> is too old to properly grok the idea of using a physical serial port to talk to a
> terminal device versus the current Github one?
>
> I'm planning a project, note the keyword, "planning" in that I'd be running an
> appropriate release of UNIX or BSD on the PDP-11 emulated, and it would need
> a serial port to talk to a terminal device.

The simh Current version at https://github.com/simh/simh can connect
simulated serial port to a physical serial port on the host system.  Linux
packaged simh versions are some 8 years old and don't have that functionality.

    $ git clone https://github.com/simh/simh
    $ cd simh
    $ make pdp11

A simh simulator accessing the host system's serial ports on Linux either
requires running as root or changing the permissions on the serial port
device(s) in /dev

- Mark